Thursday, January 3, 2019

Milestones

It’s been a few weeks since I’ve written. Life has been so busy in preparation for Christmas that ALOT of things had to be set aside for a season. So, now, I’m picking things back up, and I’m making a moment to reflect on all of the good things happening. 

I’ve felt in the past few months that our whole house has been in transition, growing in one way or another. My children are doing what they are supposed to do, and growing like weeds, so their closets are in need of a good purging. My husband is shrinking and out growing everything in his closet, and I’m expanding and outgrowing all of my regular clothes, needing to unpack and wash and put away all my maternity clothes. So, there have been piles all over for the past few weeks-piles of maternity clothes I haven’t had time to put away after washing, piles of smaller clothes for my hubby that he can’t quite wear yet, and closets that scream at me to do something to make all of life run a little smoother. 

I’m beyond blessed that these are the problems we have: maternity clothes that were stored simply need to be brought back out and put in rotation, clothes given for Christmas need to just be hung up and small things taken away for kiddos, and Patrick’s clothes need to be gone through. The next size is just a rack away, waiting to be moved up into regular rotation. 

Since Christmas, this has been how the bulk of my time has been spent. I’m happy to say that the new clothes have made their way into the children’s closets, though they still could use some purging, my maternity clothes are hung and ready and regular clothes have been put away for another day. And yesterday, I started work on Patrick’s closet. 

Last night, I started pulling out the large amount of 6x shirts that he’s worn for the past 4 years. As I folded each one to sort into boxes, I found a great sense of pride welling up within me. His accomplishment seems so much more concrete as I take these sizes out for good. 

Let me be truly honest for a moment...this will be the first time in our marriage I’ve gotten rid of a size of my husband’s clothes. As the sizes changed over the years, I always just folded them up and put them in storage. I believed that, one day, he would return to those smaller sizes. So, after I  folded and put away all of the too-large shirts, I went to the garage and pulled out a massive box of our old things. While he panicked about the loss of his things that look ridiculously big on him, I pulled out some old favorites to wash. In that box, I found the khaki pants he wore to our wedding reception 14 years ago-and they will comfortably fit him now. He probably hasn’t worn those pants in a decade.  I’m blown away at God’s goodness!  


I think this season of great transition is such a ripe time to see God’s evident goodness and provision. I’m so thankful for His abundance, and that He affords me the opportunity to put some order to the wonderful change in this precious time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment